Are you wondering if a walk-in bathtub is right for you? A walk-in bathtub is a terrific option to update your house for a safer, more comfortable, and therapeutic bathing experience. Choosing whether or not to install a walk-in tub is a huge decision, just like any other home improvement. It is critical to examine all of the benefits and drawbacks of a walk-in tub before deciding if it is the best option for you.
However, purchasing a new bathtub can be stressful. Empava's goal is to take the stress off of purchasing a new tub. That is why we created this bathtub buying guide! Here are a few things to consider when purchasing a new walk-in bathtub.
- Set a Budget
Before you start looking for a new bathtub, you should figure out your budget, including installation charges. This can help you narrow down your options and guarantee you get a tub within your budget.
Make sure to look into any available financing options or special offers that may make your purchase more reasonable. And, if you obtain a quote, make sure to inquire about what is included in the price. Some providers may not include installation, labor, permits, and other costs in their quotes, which could result in you paying much more than you expected.
- Figure out Your Needs
What do you need from a new bathtub? Walk-in bathtubs contain a variety of features that make bathing easier and safer for individuals who want extra assistance. Consider everything you require from your bathtub, from a low step-in to a handshower and railings.
Consider not only what you need today, but also what you could need in the future. What features will you require in five years if you intend to live in your home for a long time? How about ten years?
It's also crucial to consider the demands of your household's other members. Will they feel at ease in the tub you select? How can you ensure that everybody who needs to use your new bathtub can?
- Choose the Comfort Features You Want
Walk-in bathtubs offer many more options than standard bathtubs, so consider comfort features in addition to functions that you require.
Do you want hydrotherapy jets, a Shower Package, or a control panel? Will a standard-width seat be sufficient for you, or do you prefer an extra-wide seat? Depending on the brand, these and more walk-in bath features are all available.
- Be Aware of Your Measurements
Before you start looking at walk-in bathtubs, determine how much space your current bathtub takes up. This will tell you how much space you have to work with, which may help you limit down your options even further.
The Empava Walk-In Bath is designed to fit into your bathroom's current bathtub space, so you don't have to worry about it not fitting.
- Conduct your research
It's time to start your investigation now that you know what you want, what you need, and how much money you have. Look for manufacturers and installers who provide what you're searching for, but also read reviews to ensure the experience and finished product are up to pace.
Several things to consider as you research:
- How fast the tub fills and drains
- Basic safety features: water capacity and so on.
- Whether you want to install your new tub yourself or professional installation-Consult a Plumber
- Whether your new bathtub will fit into the existing tub space in your home-measurements
- Types of walk-in bathtubs: Walk-In Air Baths, Walk-In Whirlpool bathtubs, Bariatric Walk-In bathtubs
- Consider Warranties and Return Policies
- Safety Needs: a low entry threshold, a sealed door, and one (if not more) grab bars.
- Keep in Mind the Warranty
Like any major purchase, you want to know your walk-in bath will be protected. That’s why it’s important to consider what kind of warranty your new tub will be covered by. Be sure to ask questions about what the warranty covers, how long the warranty lasts, and how you’ll submit a warranty claim if you ever need to.
It’s also important to be sure that the installers are certified by the manufacturer. This ensures your bathtub will be installed properly and to the manufacturer’s specifications.
- Know Your Luxury Wants
Sure, safety is the most important consideration, but if you're going to pay for a walk-in tub, it's worth considering some luxury features. A walk-in tub can be expertly designed, depending on the model, to calm all five senses.
Here is a closer look at walk-in tub luxury features:
- Handheld Showerheads: A handheld showerhead makes all the difference for easier rinsing and better tactile control. A handheld showerhead, in particular, can improve reach for users who have difficulty reaching certain parts of their bodies.
- Massage Systems: A massage system, whether powered by air or water jets, is the ultimate way to transform your bath into a spa-like experience. These systems can also help keep your tub warm while melting away any tension or sore muscles.
- Aromatherapy: Aromatherapy is available in select models, though it is less common than other features. This type of tub can help diffuse a pleasant aroma throughout your bath by using your favorite fragrance or essential oils.
- Chromotherapy: Chromotherapy, or the use of color to treat a variety of ailments, is available in a few units. Chromotherapy in a walk-in tub consists of a series of lights that change color to aid in relaxation. Even if chromotherapy appears a little new-age to you, it undeniably creates a calming mood.
- Heated Surfaces: Heated chairs and backrests, similar to a heating pad, can be built into your walk-in tub, which is yet another way they help to relieve tension.
The Main Types of Walk-In Bathtubs Features:
Walk-In Air Baths: Don't be deceived by the name. This type of walk-in unit, like a typical bathtub, nevertheless consumes water. The air, on the other hand, refers to the tub's array of jets, which circulate air throughout the soaking bath, providing the bather with a massage-like experience.
Deep Soaking bathtubs: This walk-in tub is deeper than others, allowing you to totally submerge your body while remaining upright and seated.
Walk-In Whirlpool bathtubs: Whirlpool bathtubs, like walk-in air baths, include a system of massaging jets; however, this type of jet blows out water, warming and circulating water throughout the bath, almost like a hot tub.
Bariatric Walk-In bathtubs: Bariatric walk-in bathtubs are built for people weighing more than 300 pounds, with wider doors and deeper soaking areas, making them ideal for those of us who find regular ones too small.
Common Materials for a Walk in Tub
Because of their more constrained shape, walk-in bathtubs have fewer material options, their materials are as follows:
How long does a walk-in tub last?
A walk-in bathtub should last anywhere from 10-15 years with adequate maintenance, depending on the material chosen. Fiberglass normally has a short shelf life, lasting no more than 15 years, whereas acrylic has a significantly longer shelf life, easily lasting 25-30 years. The difference between walk-in bathtubs and other bathtubs is that not all of the surface area is used during bathing, which means there may be build up and erosion on places that are not immediately apparent to you, so keep this in mind since these bathtubs are not inexpensive. Empava walk-in bathtub can be your best options. The acrylic whirlpool walk-in tub featuring acrylic reinforced with fiberglass and supported by a stainless-steel frame makes the bearing capacity up to 440 LBS. You can submerge the body in water up to your shoulders.
Warranties and Return Policies
A solid walk-in tub, like any expensive piece of equipment, should last a lifetime. As a result, make sure to ask about warranties and return policies. Every firm handles this issue slightly differently, so be sure you know precisely what you're receiving before you buy. Empava offers 3-5 years warranties for limited parts.
Empava return policy: If you would like to return an item, please contact our customer support via email at (Support@ibathtub.com) or telephone (888 682-8882) Monday - Friday from 9 am -5 pm PST to request a return within 30 days of delivery for a full refund. When contacting our support team ensure you provide them with your return reason.